Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

Prom Queen!!

I was asked a while ago to do my friend's makeup for her prom and we had a couple of trials beforehand. She doesn't often wear much makeup so she wanted to see what she liked and I obviously wanted her to have the look she wanted, plus I am always up for doing hair and makeup! She is an incredibly beautiful girl and looks amazing without makeup but prom calls for a bit of extra effort. I got the privilege of adding some sparkle. 






Tess wanted a relatively natural look, nothing too dramatic. Definitely not a smokey eye. As her dress  was a pale pink colour, a relatively nude colour, I decided that slightly dusky pink with a little purple shading on her eyes would create the most minimal but gorgeous look. I wanted her eyes to stand out as she has lovely blue eyes and they needed to become the main feature. Her hair is gorgeous and naturally straight, I love the length of her hair and didn't want to make it much shorter so we decided to run loose curls through the lengths and then create a high quiff to add some more volume. 


Tess looking incredibly gorgeous and me looking a little rough, I wasn't planning on being in any photos!
I was really excited to use my Naked palette, which admittedly doesn't have pinks and purples, but I wanted to warm up the look with some golden colours, Half Baked and Sin were two of the colours that I used. I also used my Elf 'Beauty Encyclopaedia' which is an eyeshadow palette. I used a couple of the purples and pinks from the Basic Eye Edition. 

For foundation I mixed Revlon Naked in Vanilla and Benefits Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow in Honey, to create the right colour. I use this mix for me but Tess is more tanned so I used extra of the Benefit foundation to create a darker mix. I wanted her skin to be lovely and glowy, and I didn't want a strong cheek colour so I used MaXfactor Blush in Natural Glow, a pretty shimmery colour that is one of my favourites. I did think about using Benefit's Posie Tint but I wanted a little shimmer. 

I used a little bronzer to contour her cheekbones, obviously I used my favourite - Rimmel's Natural Bronzer in Sun Bronze. I used Benetint on her lips but I didn't want them to be too red, so I put Benefit's Lipstick in Skinny Dip over the top. It is a very natural pink lip colour and that toned the red down but the red meant that there was a little more colour than if I just used the lipstick. 

I used my Barry M Wink eyeliner, and this was actually the day that I realised it wasn't as bad as I thought! I tried it on the back of my hand and it came out a lot better then it had before, so I used that. 

I do have a little confession to make... On the actual day of Tess' prom I forgot the SD card for my camera and therefore couldn't take any photos... The two photos above were taken by Tess' parents and the photos here were taken by me but at a trial we did a week or so before. 


I also used the lightest colour in my GOSH eyebrow kit to define her eyebrows a little. As she is blonde I didn't want to over-do it, so I had to be light-handed but it looked great.



I used heated rollers to create the curls in the lengths of Tess' hair on her prom day. In one of the trials I used straighteners and whilst this created nice curls they were just a little too tight for the look that I wanted to achieve. Also, the curls from the rollers seem to last longer than the ones from my GHDs. My heated rollers are by Carmen Hair and I have a set of different sizes with 20 rollers.

I wanted to make the back of Tess' hair look nice too, I could have just gripped it and created a sort of waterfall effect with the grips hidden out of site but I decided to try something a little different. I saw a look a little like this in a film a while ago, I believe it was Step up 4 at the masquerade dance... Anyway, I took that as inspiration and created this. The grips are all hidden and I think it stayed in all night as it was quite secure. 


(L) At a trial of Tess' hair, I had done her makeup too but not fully (I don't think I had done eyeliner or much mascara...) (R) Tess at prom. Photograph was taken from Facebook.

I would have called her Prom Queen anyway but she was actually crowned Prom Queen on the night. Even without the makeup and hair I think she'd have got it anyway because she is so lovely, but shhh, we won't tell her that. 

Thank you Tess for letting me have fun decorating your face and play with your hair. I loved doing it.

I hope you all have a lovely bank holiday Monday, or if you don't have a bank holiday where you live then just have a lovely day!
Em x

This is the first time since I started Emilia Grace that I haven't posted on a Sunday! This was unfortunately out of my control - internet issues. I am surprised it's letting me write this now and hopefully it will post it too! It really is being very temperamental. 

1 comment:

  1. that's such a pretty dress! love the color on you :)

    ReplyDelete

comment here :)